Welcome To The Food Service Department

A message from our Food Service Director Valerie Evans:


  • New for 2018-2019- ALL Roscommon Elementary and Middle school students will receive FREE breakfast and lunch EVERY DAY!
  • All RES and RMS families must fill out a Household Survey form. See Instructions for the Survey.
  • September 2019- Updated meal prices for RHS: $2.80 lunch
  • Applications found below for Free and Reduced Meals- Apply Now!
  • Please review the RAPS Food Service Payment Guidelines in the Meal Prices/Payments section regarding the charging of meals to student accounts.
  • You can check your child's account status on Skyward, and set up notifications for balances below $5.00.
  • Due to a severe nut allergy, RES will be NUT RESTRICTED. All RES parents and families, please use caution and restrict the nut products you send to school with your children. Learn more about how you can help keep RES safe.



Food service at Roscommon Area Public Schools is provided by Chartwells.  RAPS food service provides breakfast and lunch to our 1,000 students each day.  We do more than feed hungry students, we nourish student’s bodies, minds and spirits.

Account Status on Skyward

Check the status of your account on Skyward at any time.  You can also opt to receive an email notification from Skyward any time your balance reaches $5.00 or less. Just login to Skyward and click on Email Notifications on the left pane. Click "Change my notifications", choose the notifications you'd like to receive and click save.

What is Chartwells "eat, learn, live" Philosophy?

eat. We improve the well-being of our students by preparing fresh, delicious and nutritious meals they love. We engage students and all of their senses through the creation of new and fresh dining experiences that improve their school day.

learn. We build sharp minds and strong bodies with a healthful, balanced approach to school dining. We share our knowledge of the life-enhancing benefits of good nutrition with students, our families and our communities.

live. We enrich the lives of our students and the communities we live through socially responsible and sustainability best practices. We are planting the seeds of health and wellness.


Meal Prices\Payments

Costs for Meals

Building Full Price Reduced Price
Roscommon Elementary School Breakfast FREE FREE
Roscommon Elementary School Lunch FREE FREE
Roscommon Middle School Breakfast FREE FREE
Roscommon Middle School Lunch FREE FREE
Roscommon High School Breakfast $1.50 $0.30
Roscommon High School Lunch $2.80 $0.40


Attention RES/RMS Families

All RES and RMS families are required to complete the Household Survey. See Instructions for the Survey if you have questions.

A La Carte Items

Your child has the option to purchase extra food items and healthy a la carte items daily in the cafeteria, this can be paid in cash or charged to your child's account. If your child brings lunch from home and purchases milk, it will cost $0.45.

Prepay Your Account Anytime

Notice to parents and staff: Our food service operates on a prepay account method not on credit. You are responsible for making sure there is enough money in the account BEFORE purchasing food items. Charging is NOT allowed.

RAPS Payment Guidelines

View the RAPS Food Service Payment Guidelines as set by the Board of Ed in regard to meal charging of student meals.

*There will be a $5.00 charge for checks returned for non-sufficient funds.

Free and Reduced Meals Application

Free and Reduced Lunch

All new and returning students at RAPS must complete a Free and Reduced Lunch application and turn in to the office in your building. Please read the instructions for completing the application. If you have questions, read the FAQ's on this page, or contact the Food Service department.

PDF DocumentHow to complete the Free and Reduced Lunch application

New application coming for 2019-2020

Free and Reduced Meals FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions about Free and Reduced Price School Meals

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. See the Free and Reduced Meals Application tab above for free or reduced price meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

Who can get Free or Reduced Price Meals?

  • All children in households receiving benefits from Food Assistance Program (FAP), Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or Family Independence Program (FIP), are eligible for free meals.
  • Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
  • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
  • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
  • Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.

Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines for the Current School Year


Household size




































Each additional person





How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant, or runaway?

Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Catherine Erickson @989-275-6600

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Roscommon Area Public Schools.

Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are already approved for free meals?

No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact the Food Service department at 989-275-6685 immediately.

Can I apply online?

Not yet, but soon!

My child was free last year, will I need to fill out a new application?

Yes. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. 

I get WIC. Can my children get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please send in an application.

Will the information I provide be checked?

Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

If I don't qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

What if I disagree with my school's decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Catherine Erickson, 989-275-6600.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals. 

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

What if some household members have no income to report?

Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

We are in the military; do we report our income differently?

Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

What if there isn't enough space on the application for my family?

List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact the Food Service department at 989-275-6685 to receive a second application.

My family needs more help, are there other programs we may apply for?

To find out how to apply for Food Assistance Program (FAP) or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-855-275-6424.

If you have other questions or need help, call the Food Service department at 989-275-6685.

USDA Non Discrimination

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

Contact Info

Food Service Director
Valerie Larange

Phone: 989-275-6685
Fax: 989--275-4611

10600 Oakwood Dr.
Roscommon, MI 48653

chartwells eat learn live

Dietary Accomodations Request

The following form is required to be on file according to USDA regulations. A new form is required each school year for each student who is requesting a special dietary needs accommodation. This form is required to be signed by a licensed physician. Juice is not a substitute for a milk or lactose intolerance. Lactose Free Milk and Soy Milk are available.

PDF DocumentDietary Needs Accommodation Request


Use Chartwells Catering Service to cater your next school affiliated event! Call the Food Service department to find out more!

Employment Opportunities

If you are looking for on-call, or part-time work, please contact Food Service Director Valerie Evans. We are always looking for people that love working around kids and food, and enjoy having great hours! See about joining our team!

Award Winning Food Service

RMS received a Gold Award of Distinction in 2011 from the USDA's Healthier US School Challenge!